Thursday, June 16, 2022

UNSANE @ Hi Dive, Denver CO, 2017-07-18

 




I've seen Unsane a bunch of times but according to my records I have only recorded them twice.  Once back in 2003 and this 2017 show at the Hi Dive.   

One of  my favorite Unsane shows, that I wish I had a recording of, was when the opened up for Slayer at the Aztlan in 1996.   The crowd was hyped for Slayer as per usual and were chanting Slayer and generally giving the opening bands a hard time.  Well Chris Spencer won them over, or at least got the crowd to shut up, by out Slayering them.   At one point he admonishes the crowd.  "Oh your Slayer fans?  Is that all you got?  I got the mic and the PA".  Then he started screaming "SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" into the mic repeatedly.  The crowd calmed down after that and let them finish in relative piece.

That was my first time seeing Unsane and the won me over big time.  They are also the only band I have ever seen open for Slayer that used a harmonica in a song.

Unsane announced that they were calling it quits in 2018 because Chris was going to concentrate on other bands.  That lasted a few years and then the announced that Unsane was going to be a going concern but live was going to play older material.   The got a one show under their belt in 2021 and then you know what happened.   Looks like they have played a couple shows in 2022.  

Chris Spencer had been putting his attention towards his new band Human Impact that has put out an amazing album and EP so far.   Check that shit out if you're a fan of Unsane.

I recall this show was really loud and the bass tone is insane.  Enjoy.


UNSANE

Hi Dive
Denver CO (USA)
2017-07-18

Recorded and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Transfer: M10 > USB > Adobe Audition > CDWave > FLAC 
Run time: (65:36.19)

01 - intro -
02 Factory
03 Fix It
04 Against the Grain
05 Aberration
06 No Reprieve
07 Killing Time
08 Only Pain
09 Scrape
10 Empty Cartridge
11 We're Fucked
12 Lung
13 Sick
14 Committed
15 The Grind
16 Get Off My Back


2 comments:

  1. Rad. Unsane are easily one of my favorite live bands ever. I was at this hi dive show and got a poster signed by the band, too. I always enjoy reading your posts, have a good one man.

    ReplyDelete