Sunday, March 19, 2023

The Cure @ SDSU Open Air Theatre, San Diego CA, 1986-07-23

 



Back in the early aughts I did a big cassette transfer project for my friend Randy Bird.  Lots of X, Replacements, and Minuteman shows that his friend Kat recorded with her Panasonic RQ-J36 cassette recorder back then.  I shared some of those online back then. Well before I started my blog.

A few months ago I ran across another box of tapes that I immediately recognized as being from Randy.  I can't remember why this didn't get transferred with the others back then.  But fast forward 20 years later and I got to work on them.   In that box is this fantastic Cure show from 1986.  After I finished up with cleaning up and tracking the show it turned out that The Cure was announcing a new tour.   Really good timing so I figured I would get this recording posted to share.

Other versions of this show have circulated before but this is the first time Kat's version has seen the light of day.    It's an audience recording so there is plenty of show atmosphere on her but Kat did a great job keeping the recorder in one place and it is very listenable.

I'm in the process of working through the other tapes and there is some more X, Replacements, and KD Lang on deck soon.  I'm planning on re-transferring all the tapes I did in the early aughts and getting them shared more widely too.  Stay tuned.


The Cure

The Beach Party Tour
SDSU Open Air Theatre
San Diego State University
San Diego CA (USA)
1986-07-23

Recorded: Kat Georges
Transfered and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: Panasonic RQ-J36 > cassette 
Transfer: cassette > PT-649D > AAE-9 > Audition > CDWave > FLAC
Time: (119:59.33)

01 - intro - 
02 Shake Dog Shake
03 Piggy in the Mirror
04 Play for Today
05 A Strange Day
06 Primary
07 Kyoto Song
08 Charlotte Sometimes
09 In Between Days
10 The Walk
11 A Night Like This (tape flip)
12 Push
13 One Hundred Years
14 A Forest
15 Sinking
16 - encore 1 -
17 Close to Me
18 Let's Go to Bed
19 - encore 2 -
20 Six Different Ways
21 Three Imaginary Boys
22 Boys Don't Cry
23 - encore 3 -
24 Faith
25 Give Me It
26 10:15 Saturday Night
27 Killing an Arab


No comments:

Post a Comment