Thursday, October 26, 2023

Caspar Brötzmann Massaker @ Cat's Cradle, Carrboro NC, 1995-03-15

 

It's been awhile since I posted a recording from the Lantz Barbour tape collection.  This is one that I found super interesting when I first transferred it back in 2018 but I didn't know much about the guy and it sounded like tracking might be hard to do.   Turns out it wasn't so hard as there are only 5 songs on this recording.

For some background.  If you haven't heard of Caspar Brötzmann  maybe you have heard of his father Peter Brötzmann.  Peter is a well know figure in Europe free jazz know mostly for this saxophone playing.   

Caspar started his band Massaker in the 80s and it is rooted in the rock trio format of guitar, bass, and drums. Very discordant, heavy, textural, expansive stuff.  Live in person I bet it was an experience.
For some context this show in North Carolina was part of a tour that they did in 1995 with Killdozer.

I don't have that Killdozer recording but it's out there.

I think this sounds really good considering the gear and how loud it had to have been.  A little chatty between songs but not bad.  I trimmed as much as a could so there are some fade in and outs between some songs.  Enjoy.


Caspar Brötzmann Massaker

Cat's Cradle
Carrboro NC (USA)
1995-03-15

Recorded: Lantz Barbour
Transfered and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: Realistic SCP-29 > cassette 
Transfer: cassette > line-in > Adobe Audition > CDWave > FLAC 
Run time: (55:59.08)

01 The Tribe (fades in)
02 Tempelhof
03 Kerkersong
04 Böhmen
05 Massaker



No comments:

Post a Comment