Sunday, July 19, 2020

Suburban Home 16th Anniversary @ 3 Kings Tavern, Denver CO, 2011-09-09&10








 





poster by Jupiter Visuals


These Suburban Home anniversary parties were always a real good time.  Always a fun group of folks and a great line up of the sort of punky americana rock bands that were mining that vein at the time. Thanks to Virgil for all of the many many good times over the years. 


For the 16th Anniversary shows there was of course a stacked line up.  Night one features Joey Briggs,Shane Sweeney,Michael Dean Damron,Arliss Nancy,Have Gun Will Travel,Lenny And The Piss Poor Boys,& Two Cow Garage who played a set including covering all of The Lemonhead's It's A Shame About Ray album. Night two featured Lizzie Huffman,Micah Schnabel,Lenny Lashley’s Gang of One,Alone At 3AM,The Evening Rig,Tin Horn Prayer,& Two Cow Garage.

I presented some of this night as a "best of" mix that got featured in a Westword article.
Westword Article


That is still live on my blog is you would rather have the condensed version.
best-of-suburban-home-16th-anniversary

After finding out 3 Kings Tavern was closing I started posting various fantastic shows from there and it got me to thinking about the Suburban Home shows I saw there.  For the 16th I setup a mix of the mics I had on the ceiling and the soundboard feed.  I was really happy with how it turned out and this is one that my late friend Dan Utter helped post process after the shows.
 

Since I was keen on this one I tried to pick out an individual set to post.  Tin Horn Prayer is a great one.  Either of the Two Cow sets.  The Lenny and the Piss Poor Boys was a front runner.  Then I decided in this freewheeling digital age why not just post all of the sets in one big collection.  A digital box set of the event.

So here it is warts and all as I say.  People get loud, people get loose, people get real.  It's no bullshit or pretense.  All of these performances were from the heart.  Lot a love in that room both nights.  To quote the really drunk guy you can hear hollering at the very beginning of the Tin Horn Prayer set "You're all my friends!! Everybody here is my friend!!  Cheers buddy!!"

I had a lovely time listening back to all of these sets and in this crazy time where we don't even know when we will be even seeing live music in a setting like this it's been fun to reminisce over these two nights.  Hope you enjoy it as well.

In this crazy time where no bands can tour it would be a great time to support independent music and artists and go buy some of their stuff.  Many of the acts that played at this show are still active and can be found with a quick google search on bandcamp and other places.  Let's all help keep art and music alive until a time we can all come out an enjoy it together.


Cheers friends!!


No comments:

Post a Comment