Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Brian Setzer ‘68 Comeback Special @ The Fox, Boulder CO, 2001-07-31


I've been a fan of the Stray Cats since I saw them on the ABC TV SNL clone 'Fridays' in 1981.  I recall getting the Stray Cat Strut 45rpm single after that.  Just good rock n roll music.  What's not to like.

Was too young to ever see them live in their heyday.  Towards the end of the 90s when there was a swing revival spreading across the land.  Brian Setzer did a big band project and toured that a bunch.  I saw a couple of those tours and the Xmas shows.  Always a great time.  Not the same as a Stray Cats but it was his guitar in the spotlight.  Guy has massive chops.

In 2001 he put out a record of a new trio he had formed.  Brian Setzer ‘68 Comeback Special.  They put out one album and did some touring behind it and that was that.  One of the shows was at the Fox in Boulder Colorado.  Not a beautiful theater necessarily but it always sounded fantastic.  I went figuring that it was about as close to seeing the Stray Cats as I was ever going to get. 

They came out firing on all cylinders and just blew everyone away.  So good.  A bunch of tunes that they wrote for their album, Stray Cat's songs, and some choice covers.

I wish I could remember where I stood when I recorded this.  Barely any noise crowd, chit chat, just the occasional loud clapper.  Pulling this one out reminded me of how great the sound at the Fox was.  I saw lots and lots of shows there in the 90-00.  We diverged in our tastes I guess because it is rare that there is anything that I just have to see booked at the Fox these days. 

Enjoy

Brian Setzer ‘68 Comeback Special

Fox Theater
Boulder CO (USA)
2001-07-31

Recorded and Mastered: SxPxDxCx
Source: Coresound CSB's > Sharp 722 minidisc
Transfer: Sony MDS-JE330 > Audition > CDWave > FLAC
Time: (72:21.01) 

01 - intro -
02 Please Don't Touch
03 This Cat's On A Hot Tin Roof
04 Ignition
05 Hot Rod Girl
06 5 Years, 4 Months, 3 Days
07 Twenty-Flight Rock
08 Stray Cat Strut
09 Sleepwalk
10 ‘59
11 8-track
12 Rooster Rock
13 Gentle on My Mind
14 Old Joe Clark
15 Guitar Rag
16 Chet Tune
17 Rock This Town
18 Hell Bent
19 Gene And Eddie
Encore
20 Rumble In Brighton
21 Santa Rosa Rita
22 Brand New Cadillac

LINK TO MP3 DOWNLOAD

No comments:

Post a Comment