Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals @ Fox Theatre, Boulder CO, 2007-08-02

 



Talk about a guy that is tough to like but who makes great art.  I've been a fan since the Whiskeytown days at he as always come off as an asshole and would prove it to you.  Never liked that but he can write a hell of a song. Or could.  Nothing on the big dump of releases he put out last year did anything for me really.  He set the bar really high early with some iconic Whiskeytown and early solo songs.  Nothing will ever be as good as those or have the mental connection to a time for me.  The deck is stacked against him.

It sounds like he is sober now and has been doing a ton of solo shows the last few years and just got a version of The Cardinals band back together for a bunch of dates.  I wish him luck on his journey but I'm not sure I would go see him again.

That said.  This show has found time and place memories for me.  After hearing the tour announcement I went back and listened to this 2007 recording I had made of a stripped down mostly acoustic Cardinals at the Fox in Boulder Colorado.  I really liked it and saw that it wasn't up on the LMA either, well not my version, so I decided to post it up.

I think this show was for a radio convention.  The Fox did a lot of those and very few tickets went  on sale for the general public.  My buddy Dan Utter schmoozed his way into two tickets and then got us access to the upper balcony.  The only time I have ever been up there.  I set up on the edge of the balcony railing and pulled a really nice recording I think.   

I was glad to be up there because my experience with these radio convention shows is that all the attendees could generally give a shit about whoever is playing and just want to drink and talk though the whole show.  Which is fine but it can make for a challenging atmosphere in which to make a decent audio recording.   Enjoy.


Ryan Adams and the Cardinals 

Fox Theatre
Boulder CO (USA)
2007-08-02

Recorded and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: MBHO KA-200N > JK Labs DVC-V12 > JB3
Transfer: JB3 > USB > Cooledit > CDWave > FLAC
Time: (51:55)

01 Sun Also Sets
02 Goodnight Rose
03 Oh My God Whatever, Etc
04 Dear John
05 Let it Ride
06 Blue Sky Blues
07 Two
08 Wildflowers
09 Cold Roses
10 Blue Hotel
11 Goodnight Hollywood Boulevard

No comments:

Post a Comment