Saturday, May 1, 2021

Evan Dando @ The Starlight, Ft Collins CO, 2005-01-28

 


I've always like the Lemonheads since I first heard them.  I think Evan Dando is a really good song writer too.  Great word craft.   So I was excited to see him solo.  I still have never seen the Lemonheads.  But as I write this they have announced some 2021 dates.  So I may still get a chance.

At the time of this show Evan I recall Evan was in a bit of a rough patch or was being portrayed that way.  So I went in with fairly low expectations.  My memory of this show was that it wasn't well attended and Evan looked fucked up.  I recall it being full of young college kids that defiantly weren't there to see him and were just treating him like an open mic performer.   Oh and the bartender was hitting on my lady friend at the time.  So a lot colored my memory of this show.  

I also didn't recall that he played with another band on the bill.  From Kansas City and made up of guys from Podstar and Ultimate Fakebook called Dead Girls Ruin Everything.  Later shortened to Dead Girls.  They show up at the end of this recording and play two songs with Evan.  One more sucsessfully than the other.

At the time it seemed kinda of odd that Evan was playing in Ft Collins but it turned out that he was recording at the Blasting Room with Bill Stevenson who was producing and playing on they tracks that ended up on the 2006 self titled Lemonheads album.   Karl Alvarez and J Mascis make appearances on that album too.  I think I need to go back and revisit that album.

All of the negative thoughts I had about this show kind of disappeared when I pulled this out of the archive with thoughts of maybe posting it.  Evan doesn't sound wasted at all.  Crowd is a little chatty but there is lots of cheering and even a very minor crowd participation sing along during Bit Part.

I'm happy with how this sounds and I think it is a fun listen.  Enjoy.


Evan Dando

The Starlight
Ft Collins CO (USA)
2005-01-28

Recorded and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: AT933C > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3 
Transfer: JB3 > USB > Audition > CDWave > FLAC 
Time (58:52.39)

01 Down About It
02 The Outdoor Type (Smudge)
03 Being Around
04 Frying Pan
05 My Drug Buddy
06 Why Do You Do This To Yourself
07 How Much I've Lied (Gram Parsons)
08 Ride With Me
09 Style
10 Hannah And Gabi
11 All My Life
12 The Great Big No
13 My Idea (Chris Brokaw)
14 Confetti
15 Tenderfoot (Smudge)
16 Stove
17 It's A Shame About Ray
18 Rudderless
19 Bit Part
20 Favorite T
21 Shaky Ground
22 Into Your Arms **
23 If I Could Talk I'd Tell You **

** backed by Dead Girls Ruin Everything (aka Dead Girls)


No comments:

Post a Comment