Thursday, April 27, 2023

X @ Cal State Long Beach soccer field, Long Beach CA, 1984-03-30

 

Here is post #5 of recordings from the Kat archive.  Today featuring another uncirculated recording from her cassette stash.  This time Los Angeles punk icons X playing on a soccer field at the Cal State Long Beach campus.  Just over 39 years ago.   It sounds like it was a Miller beer sponsored spring break event maybe.  John mentions there being a gigantic inflatable Miller bottle at one point.  

X is a pretty well documented band so I assumed I could figure out the date of this show and other details fairly easily.  The cassette was undated but I was told mid 80s.  I looked and looked and have found no mentions of this show at all.  They toured a lot back then so I'm sure they took any opportunity to play.  Even at a rowdy campus event.  Probably was a good payday.

This got me excited about having a recording that no one had heard in ages.  The quality is not amazing being that it is outside on a soccer field.  Mid set it sounds like it might be raining.  So weather is a bit of an issue. There is some wind phasing in places.  Lots of  nice moments too.  I would call this a fan only recording since most listeners don't want to hear all the extra atmosphere that is surrounding the taper.  Me I love that stuff.  

I was still at a loss for an accurate date for this show but I decided to just go ahead and process it and once I got it tracked and tagged I could figure that out.  Well at the start of the recording Kat and my friend Randy do a recording test where Randy describes the day and mentions that it is March 30th 1984.  Thanks Randy!!  You saved the day and ended the research.

Like I mentioned.  The sound is what it is and there is some rowdy crowd interaction and some odd tape moments that I faded in and out of.  But a hell of a setlist.  Warts and all.  Enjoy.


X

Cal State Long Beach
Soccer Field
Long Beach CA (USA)
1984-03-30

Recorded: Kat Georges
Transferred and Presented: SxPxDxCx
Source: Panasonic RQ-J36 > cassette 
Transfer: cassette > PT-649D > AAE-9 > Audition > CDWave > FLAC
Time: (52:50.51)

01 - tape intro -
02 We're Having Much More Fun
03 Your Phone's Off the Hook, But You're Not
04 In This House That I Call Home
05 I See Red
06 Make the Music Go Bang (fades out)
07 The Hungry Wolf (fades in)
08 Poor Girl
09 Nausea
10 We're Desperate (fades out)
11 Johny Hit and Run Paulene (fades in) 
12 Breathless (Otis Blackwell)
13 Soul Kitchen (The Doors)
14 Motel Room in My Bed
15 Wild Thing  (fades out)
16 - encore -
17 The New World
18 Year 1
19 Sugarlight
20 Devil Doll
21 Because I Do




No comments:

Post a Comment