Saturday, June 6, 2020

Burning Airlines @ Ogden Theatre, Denver CO, 2001-09-22


While the band, and J Robbins in particular, sound pretty happy on this recording.  Touring the US in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 with a band named Burning Airlines must have not been a ton of fun.

At this Denver show and I imagine else where the theatre put B.A. up on the marque the day of the show instead of the full name.

I think I missed local support Contender since I have no recording of them.  Oddly I just got a copy of their CD 20 years after the fact.  Good stuff.

Was most excited about seeing Rival Schools again.  They toured like madmen around this time and I caught them with a bunch of different bands.  I have a partial recording of their set from this night.

Had been a big fan of Jawbox and I had never got to see them.  So catching any J Robbins band was a treat.  I love all that guy has done right up to today.  He put out an amazing solo album in 2019.

The Ogden can be a tough room.  The sound quality there has improved greatly over the years with many upgrades.  But It has a tall ceiling and could be a bit muddy and boom sometimes.  I massaged this recording a bit to take those rough edges off.  It's not amazing but very listenable.  Especially if your a big fan.  Enjoy.


Burning Airlines

Ogden Theatre
Denver CO (USA)
2001-09-22

Recorded and Mastered: SxPxDxCx
Source: Coresound CSB's > Sharp 722 minidisc
Transfer: Sony MDS-JE330 > Audition > CDWave > FLAC
Time: (57:02.48)

01 Identikit
02 Outside The Aviary
03 The Deluxe War Baby
04 A Lexicon
05 Scissoring
06 Morricone Dancehall
07 A Song With No Words
08 All Sincerity
09 Pacific 231
10 Paper Crowns
11 Escape Engine
12 3 Sisters
13 Carnival
14 Wheaton Calling
15 Election Night Special
16 - Encore -
17 Dear Hilary
18 The Surgeon's House

LINK TO MP3 DOWNLOAD


1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled across this & wanted to say THANKS for sharing it! I always feel that J Robbins' projects don't get the attention they deserve. I wish more awesome musicians would make recordings of their live shows, like Fugazi. Even if they weren't "professional" quality they'd be invaluable records. Thanks again, can't wait to hear this.

    ReplyDelete